08 February, 2012

Frozen fruit

There are many things wrong with the world, they say. ...For me, they can be subsumed under a few principles in its mechanics that should be tweaked -but I won't get into that. If you know me, we'll chat about it, or yet better, seriously joke about it some time.  One thing I'll say, though, .... oh boy, I was going to start rambling again.

Well, to the point. There's no need to chat, though I felt philosophical when I began thinking about that mantra of mine; every time I'm asked where I want to eat, when I'm eating out, my choice is usually any place where I can eat "sano, rico, y barato" (healthy, yummy, and cheap). And that, having learned it from my dad who always refused to eat out (also because in the island there aren't many choices, eating out is crazily expensive if you live on a salary, and the traditional food is not exactly what you would call healthy), that place, is home. My dad is a great, inventive cook, so I learned that from him. I do, however, love eating out, my circumstances of course are different, and I'm not always in the mood for cooking -nor do I always have the desire to devote time to it  (I can make quick dishes, but more about it in coming posts).
Every time I cook, though, rest assured, it is healthy, and it is cheap (even if you cook expensive stuff, cooking it at home will be many times cheaper than if you have it at a restaurant), ...and the more I practice cooking, the higher the statistic that the outcome will be good.

...That octopus recipe I promised in the previous entry.., well you know. Good that I wrote I'd do it, it means I'll remember the recipe, and I'll make it again, which is the main purpose of this blog. A reminder to myself of the dishes I make, ...quite hard since I cook an original recipe almost every time I cook. But again, more on that later.

For today, a healthy, veritable yummy, and cheap snack.

Buy frozen fruits.
Again, buy frozen fruits.
Chances are that you are in the first world now. And in this -many adjectives, and none- first world, you have frozen fruits in the frozen section of your supermarket. They say berries are good for you, I always have berries, you pick whatever suits your palate, but do keep frozen fruits in your fridge, ...they last so long, they are nutritious, they come so handy.


Put them in a jar with at least one (portion of?) fresh fruit so you go easy on the hand blender, because that's what you're going to do, blend them. (apples make the thing dark, so I advice you against them, I usually add bananas, kiwis, pineapple, and/or some type of melon -bananas are the most common ones in my preparations, since they are also the easiest to peel and the cheapest)

Want to impress your commensals/visitors, or treat yourself? Sprinkle slivered almonds and irregularly cut pieces of a chocolate bar (hmmm..., dark chocolate) over one of the easiest and healthiest snacks you can offer to people, they'll feel pampered and you'll have the right to feel proud of how much you love them, 'cause good and yummy food is love, ask grandmas (I feel like one sometimes).

No comments:

Post a Comment